Hi! Another Friday, another round of links for you to browse on this last day of your work week.
So many very interesting health related topics in the news this week.
- A vote for fevers! Fevers can be scary, especially in a child, especially as a new parent - but they are an essential part of the healing process, an innate response from your immune system in the interest of killing that bug! The Globe and Mail reported this week on how "Fighting flu fever with pills making death toll worse...", check it out.
- Let me start off by saying I 100% support pharmacological medication in cases of major depressive disorder, but I am also sensitive to the overmedication where lifestyle changes and counselling could make a profound difference. The National Post this week reported on a warning from a top Canadian psychiatrist on trying to cure 'ordinary' sadness with antidepressants.
- Here's a link to a beautifully written blog about living with PTSD. I've learned a lot from this great writer - please explore it all - but here's a link to a recent experience she had where anemia significantly contributed to a worsening of her condition. Sometimes going back to basics and making sure everything at the baseline is working well is an important step in the right direction.
- Every now and then I can admit I like a TED talk. Thanks to Clay, I overdid it a couple of years ago. But this week one of my supervisors showed us Peter Attia's talk called "What if we're wrong about diabetes" and I have to share it. It's important in the interest of combating fat phobia amongst healthcare providers, it's important for improving our diets, it's important for better understanding endocrine disorders like PCOS, and it's important for feeling better all around. So if you're into any of those things, I think you should watch this one.
- My colleague Talia wrote a really amazing piece, "Some Notes on Cleansing" this week. You should check it out, I think it'll be different than you expect...
- More on the amazing coconut - here's Healthful Pursuit's Ultimate Guide to Everything Coconut.
- And I've got chicken in my freezer so we're doing chicken recipes this week
And finally...a laugh. Because you could use one, right? Both my brother and sister do standup and are hilarious, so lucky me - I get lots of exposure to GREAT comedy. This is a oldie but a goodie - anyone want a hot pocket? Jim Gaffigan, everyone!!
Have a good weekend :)